The purchase, Mid Ohio July 2015

The purchase, Mid Ohio July 2015

Postby RB » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:17 pm

Mid Ohio 2015, Kenny mentioned there was a barn find 2 alleys down . . . A One owner from New, '69, price tag of $5,000 (Apparently he started at $10,000 until someone pointed out it was locked up), it was bad, chrome all peeled off the pipes, no chrome on the shocks, flat tyres, NICE seat, and utterly original, we towed it back to camp, flat tyres and all :

It HAD to be saved
Image[/URL]
Once back at the camp we started work on it . . . and it had some VERY redeeming features :shock:
8-)
It had literally SAT for 41 Years but the slides were free, the chokes were free, we didn't even clean the carbs Mn Mark found a broken coil wire and we had sparks!, we rocked the bike until the locked up engine freed off, put gas in, the fuel tap dripped a couple of times, the carbs didn't and she fired up :o Whats more, when she fired up, the clutch wasn't stuck and I rode it around the swap meet!!! She ticked over, pulled like a train and I was smiling from ear to ear!!
Dilemma though . . Full restoration ? Navel gel restoration ? or leave as is and ride ?

Darths Video Clip : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMfKwwEj2Ac

Back at home a day later My Video Clip : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giYIDuRkxEU
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
As far as possible be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant, they too have their story. Remember always, there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
RB

Re: The purchase, Mid Ohio July 2015

Postby malc87 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:53 pm

Image[/url]
first view of the 69!!
malc87

Postby RB » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:53 pm

The look on Kennys face is PRICELESS!! . . . It's a " I want it SO badly, but it's too expensive for a seized up rust bucket" :lol:
As far as possible be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant, they too have their story. Remember always, there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
RB

Postby Wolfie » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:50 pm

Let him have it Rick, what sort of a mate are you..? :lol:
I used to be a Yorkshire Werewolf, but am alreet nar!
Wolfie

Postby mark b » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:52 pm

The story goes like this,I originally found the said treasure and asked how much,to the reply make me an offer, I could tell by the sellers face this wasn't going to be cheap and beyond my budget :cry: :idea: I'll go and get the others being Malc ,Kenny and Al they came and had a look and decided it was to expensive for what it was :oops: so they informed Rick who wasn't very well but managed to drag himself along when he heard the the magic word sixty nine :shock: just happened he had some loose change in his pocket :roll: and the rest is history.
I think there's a few people kicking themselves now :oops:
mark b

Postby Darth » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:11 pm

That was an awesome find Rick !!! :o

I haven't seen a guy that happy for ages !!! :lol:

(and yes ... I found a way back in ... LOL !!!)
If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.
Darth

Postby mark b » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:20 am

The funny thing is we were all standing looking at the bike totting up in our heads how much to do this that and the other to the bike,when really it needed nothing and thats obviously what Rick saw and took the gamble. I think to many of us think only of restoration and sometimes overlook the originality.
mark b

Postby malc87 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:24 pm

I did think about it for a minute but the only real attraction to me was the low numbers ;)
I decided apart from taking a big portion of my Mid-Ohio spends (on something that ive already owned and sold two off :oops: ) it had little attraction as it would simply sit in my garage as yet another unfinished project before being sold off due to lack of interest.
If I had bought it I probably would not have had the money left to buy the H1R frame which has a far bigger attraction to me and that would have been a major blow to me.
The reality is if myself or Kenny or even Mark or AL had bought it it would still be seized sat in Ricks pole barn waiting for shipment and would simply be a couple of pics on the forum.
It worked out well Rick buying it as its created the tale we are now reading. Fantastic reading :D
malc87

Return to The life and times of a 1969 H1 Barn find . . .