centre stands

centre stands

Postby RAYH2 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:10 am

My h2b sits nice and straight, rear wheel off the deck by an inch or so, my h2c stand sits more of an angle allows the rear wheel to sit on the deck, shock lengths are standard.

Ideas about this ?, should they be the same , as its s pain in the but with 3 point contact. I've looked at many pics on the internet and it seems there is high percentage of each. The stands are the same , I even wonder if the mounting lugs are at a different position .
RAYH2

Re: centre stands

Postby tallyb » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:47 pm

Wear and tear on the lugs allowing the stand to over-travel and letting the back wheel touch the ground. If you get someone to lift he bike onto the stand you will probably see the rear wheel clear the ground and then touch down again.
tallyb

Postby RAYH2 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:26 pm

Do you mean the 2 plates welded to the frame or lugs on the stand , sorry to be thick !
RAYH2

Postby RB » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:22 pm

The stands often bend from people sitting on the bikes whilst on the stand, and also as pointed out, the pivots wear badly and a couple of mm wear is a big amount of travel by the time it is at the seat of the stand
As far as possible be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant, they too have their story. Remember always, there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
RB

Postby RAYH2 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:22 pm

Yip a massive 4 to 5 mm of wear , so need to get another, I saw some replica b/c stands advertised , thanks for heads up on the painter
RAYH2

Postby RB » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:52 am

RAYH2 wrote:Yip a massive 4 to 5 mm of wear , so need to get another, I saw some replica b/c stands advertised , thanks for heads up on the painter

nope . . . don't even go there . . . They snap . . . Look for some review first, just in case that have been improved?

As far as possible be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant, they too have their story. Remember always, there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
RB

Postby RAYH2 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:18 pm

good god, I must admit to having a stand collapse but it was an original 72 stand - rotten. I will get one and see what I think, its made by PMC a lot of their stuff has been ok- the pmc stand for the z1 is certainly ok, no bending on the arm and has been on for 7 years, I could get the wear in the original stand welded up, but I am scared of rot on the inside. so thats a decent kick start I need and a centre stand if you have one in your loft! ( I bet there is a fair bit in that loft)
finally got my H1E on song, air filter / jets / sync & timing all done , nippy little blighter as well straight up to the ton with high bars, then a bend appeared . I did notice on the thrash up the highlands a bit of over heating - perhaps the oil pump putting out to much which can weaken the mixture- there was always smoke - so possibly get better oil, mind you I forgot i had b7hs in for town use - they run a bit hotter so maybe a set of 9hss for harder work. Also had a tank of 97 octane which isnt the best for harder riding as it will run hotter - I see Boots langley insists by 100+ as a minimum in road bikes
RAYH2

Postby Scouse » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:38 am

RAYH2 wrote:good god, I must admit to having a stand collapse but it was an original 72 stand - rotten. I will get one and see what I think, its made by PMC a lot of their stuff has been ok- the pmc stand for the z1 is certainly ok, no bending on the arm and has been on for 7 years, I could get the wear in the original stand welded up, but I am scared of rot on the inside. so thats a decent kick start I need and a centre stand if you have one in your loft! ( I bet there is a fair bit in that loft)
finally got my H1E on song, air filter / jets / sync & timing all done , nippy little blighter as well straight up to the ton with high bars, then a bend appeared . I did notice on the thrash up the highlands a bit of over heating - perhaps the oil pump putting out to much which can weaken the mixture- there was always smoke - so possibly get better oil, mind you I forgot i had b7hs in for town use - they run a bit hotter so maybe a set of 9hss for harder work. Also had a tank of 97 octane which isnt the best for harder riding as it will run hotter - I see Boots langley insists by 100+ as a minimum in road bikes

Always run B9s and I ride all weathers, never had a problem, b7s will kill you're bike

Gary T
Boffin In A Coffin
Scouse

Postby RAYH2 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:59 pm

yes , B7s were a mistake , they were lying in the drawer and I had fitted them as the others were fouled when I was setting up. However around the town the bike stayed crisp with them, out the road was a mistake
RAYH2

Postby malcolm » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:20 am

RB wrote:
RAYH2 wrote:Yip a massive 4 to 5 mm of wear , so need to get another, I saw some replica b/c stands advertised , thanks for heads up on the painter

nope . . . don't even go there . . . They snap . . . Look for some review first, just in case that have been improved?

[/quote

The repro stands are fine in my experience. The first ones that became available for the 72 and 73 bikes about 4/5 years ago were very lightweight and certainly did snap.
I've used four of the H2B/C stands from "lights and mirrors" on ebay and they're excellent.
His phone number is 07976 391205 he also does repro shocks and some Z stuff as well.
malcolm

Return to RB's section