Fitting a modern calliper to an H2C

Fitting a modern calliper to an H2C

Postby bic_bicknell » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:21 pm

Well after six months of riding about on this bike and working my way through the carbouration and ignition issues I am still in love except for one thing. I cannot live with the ineffectual front brake any longer. I will keep on looking for a period twin calliper and disc set up but have already realised that these are very rare and expensive when they do come up for sale so it will have to remain a long term goal.

I've just received a modern six-pot from Pretech in Reading and it appears to be as quality as any other calliper I've had, similar to a Berenger I had on a supermoto a few years ago. They tell me it is a simple bolt on replacement that uses the original brake set up but I need to get a custom brake line made to run from the bottom yoke to the calliper.

My question is has anyone else done this fit and if so is there any record of the exact length of hose I need and specifically the angle of banjo fitting at the calliper end in relation to the top banjo. It's a long hose so there will be a bit of leeway I guess. I was going to try and pass it behind the fork leg to follow where the metal pipe currently runs.

I was going to just get a modern braided hose, (with black sleeve), but does anyone know if there is anywhere that supplies custom braided hoses that are then sleeved in original looking rubber outer so it looks like an old style hose?

Any other advice or views appreciated
bic_bicknell

Re: Fitting a modern calliper to an H2C

Postby JimmyMach » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:00 pm

Whenever I have dealt with Venhills they've always been very helpful. They may stock the type of hose you want, or be able to get hold of it. They can certainly make one up for you.
4 strokes good, 2 strokes better.
JimmyMach

Postby bic_bicknell » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:07 pm

Thanks.

I was just looking on the Hel website.

I'm presuming the F1 at the calliper end is a M10 but does anyone know the F2 thread size if I was going to just get a short hose made up to replace the metal pipe part. It would have to screw into the end of the OE hose just behind the fork leg. On the chart there are various options. Also, as I'm not familiar with this stuff - does a 'Swivel Male' alleviate any problem with the angle of the banjo and having to twist the hose when fitting?
bic_bicknell

Postby robh1f » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:29 pm

Rog Ramm runs TWIN !!!! Pretechs on Damien......he should know !! :up
robh1f

Postby Scouse » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:16 am

Personally I'd pick up the phone and speak to hell/venhils
Rather than order blindly from a website
Have a tape measure handy

They want your business so they will bend over backwards to help

Gary T
Boffin In A Coffin
Scouse

Postby husson73 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:38 am

I'm brembo front on my 2 H2S which are on the road (calipers, master cylinder, discs): perfect.
BTW Beringer just offers a bolt on twin discs for H1 H2
http://mototribu.com/accessoire/info/20 ... ger.html#1
Jean-Pierre CH.
"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender" WS Churchill.
husson73

Postby Hal » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:02 am

Venhill are good guy's AND they are only down the road from you in Dorking, so you can sort it all out face to face over the counter - by far the best way. :up
Hal

Postby 666rog » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:57 am

Here ya go. Two pre tech six pots. I think they were made fr the Z1 orininaly.
666ireland.JPG
Manufacturer of the finest quality swarf in the UK.
666rog

Postby 666rog » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:59 am

Venhill will easily sort you lines. Mine are braided with a black sleeve over them to make them look more like rubber hose. The calipers are not as fierce as they look. Good luck with the conversion.
Manufacturer of the finest quality swarf in the UK.
666rog

Postby bic_bicknell » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:59 pm

Hi 666rog,

Thanks for the pic. Twin set up looks great - I will see what the one does first then consider doubling if the bike/chassis/tyres seem to be able to cope with more.

Yesterday I ordered a custom brake hose from Hel on line. My order went through at 4.30 and the package arrived at 10 this morning! Amazingly quick and quality made. I took a punt on getting a 20 degree banjo at both ends. Was hoping that i can put the banjo on the calliper so that it angles inwards to aid getting the hose to run behind the fork as the OE metal pipe does. But I see that you appear to have chosen to come around the outside of the fork and then back through the OE wire loop. Was there a reason for this?

I'll have a look when fitting tomorrow and see what way seems to be best.
bic_bicknell

Next

Return to RB's section