kh 250 ignition fault

kh 250 ignition fault

Postby raven » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:03 pm

my kh250 breaks down the spark breaks down after a few miles on no peticular plug but all of the,everthing is new on the bike now.
my friends is exactly the same we are both getting 15.3 volts now at the battary and im a whits end where to look for faults,
both the bikes come back with fully charged battarys now.
what could case the sparks to break down the only thing i can think of now is the condencers breaking dow but on both bikes are new but they are nos ones.
have they a shelf life being a small battary is there a way to test them or could something else be causing the spark to fail on both bikes after the same distances
raven

Re: kh 250 ignition fault

Postby Jim » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:23 pm

Condensers and coils are the items that can get heat sensitive, and it's difficult to verify that with a meter, since by the time you get the meter connected, they've cooled off and appear to be good. I'd get some new aftermarket condensers and install them. It's an inexpensive way to see if that's the problem.

The condensers are capacitors, not batteries, and they indeed can go bad from age. I recently had a customer explain that his H2's ignition problem couldn't be the NOS CDI units, because they were brand new. I pointed out that they might be unused, but were still 40 years old.
Jim

Postby raven » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:16 pm

hi jim
ive just seen on a mg owns forum site someone saying condensors are likely to take in moisture and after 10 years are prone to fail.
he said he had one fail after 200 miles they must have the same problem and have to buy old stock,its odd the 2 bike have the same problem and have had nos condensors fitted.
will post a result when ive changed them but im sure its the fault,doing these old bikes is a pain in asre

thanks jim
raven

Postby Jim » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:16 pm

I'm not sure exactly what you mean when you say "and have to buy old stock", but get new aftermarket condensers. A kit of three sets of points and three condensers is less than $40 US here in the states. I'm sure you have a supplier in the UK who can help you.
Jim

Postby raven » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:58 pm

hi jim
who is your supplier in the uk
raven

Postby Jim » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:09 pm

I'm in the US, and I was saying that I'm sure there is a UK supplier for points and condensers. I'm not up on the UK suppliers other than Simon at http://www.kawasakitripleparts.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=41
Jim

Postby husson73 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:22 am

Simon parts are top quality and he is a nice guy too: add he owns and rides small triples :clap :clap
Jean-Pierre CH.
"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender" WS Churchill.
husson73

Postby Triple s3a » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:15 pm

I'd have a look at the low tension side.
Seem's strange all 3 coils and condensers would give up at the same time?
Annoying, a simple ignition system can give so much hassle
Triple s3a

Return to RB's section