Where were you at first sight

Re: Where were you at first sight

Postby husson73 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:21 pm

Jim wrote:
JP, I always thought that of all the VW Beetles that were made, the split rear window one was the coolest looking. They look old and authentic compared to the later ones.

agree for the looking but the engine on those old thing did only 65MPH with all driver and the passenger (me) lay down on the car :lol: :lol: :lol: to say nothing about how those old Beetle slided under rain. Sometimes under hard rain it was safety to stop and wait :o
Have nothing against Beetle and my lovely girl still owns his 1973 1302 which was a more better and later Beetle ( we should do a full rebuilt but when :?)
Jean-Pierre CH.
"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender" WS Churchill.
husson73

Postby bic_bicknell » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:38 pm

There were a lot of Suzuki triples in my area at that time. The 380 and 550 were a bit heavy and not really the bike of choice. And yes they had the sheet scoop over the cylinders. It was called a "Ram Air System" I think. Anyway, Kawasakis were much nicer! :D
bic_bicknell

Postby akashiclassics » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:52 am

My first real memory of a triple was late in 1972. I'd just started work in Melbourne, Australia and had gone back to my home town of Bendigo for the weekend. I had a well used Kawasaki G1-L 90 at the time, that I'd bought about a year earlier and hadn't taken to Melbourne, a 100 mile trip, to use as a commuter.

Anyway, that weekend in Bendigo, there was a motorcycle show on. I went along for a look and the Kawasaki stand had mainly the '72 model year bikes on display. I couldn't honestly say what other bikes were there that day, but I have a clear recollection of that magnificent Pearl White S1 250, absolutely glistening under the spotlights. I reckon I stood and just stared at that bike for 20+ minutes, and went back to it countless times.

I presently have an S2-A, S3, H1-B and H2-A ... sadly no 250 ... but no bike I've ever owned has looked anywhere near as beautiful as that S1.

I did get my S1 in March of '73 ... a white one. Like a lot of beginners, I didn't treat as well as it deserved, as well as I would these days, and it was moved on in '75 for a new Z1-B.

Jeff in Aussie
akashiclassics

Postby Scouse » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:12 am

1988, I was 22 & living in Hull, got a phone call from my mate, he was babbling uncontrollably "I've just bought Westy's H1', The silence from my end was met with " I'll bring it round"
I was indoors and remember hearing this din, like no other, I went outside and he was sat on this bike grinning like an idiot, going on about 2nd gear wheelies & hinged frame, "right I'm off to have some fun" he pulled away in this concoction of noise and smoke, that planted the seed, the bike was a KH 500 with LE Sport expansion chambers & 6 months later I bought the bike

Gary T
Boffin In A Coffin
Scouse

Postby Nigel S » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:28 am

In 1974 at the tender age of 14, Kawasaki of Lowestoft had the H2C sitting next to a Z1-B in the front of the shop (purple H2C). I had to wait a further 5 years before I could buy one. It was not the bike I had seen in the showroon at 14, but it was one of the last H2C's ever sold by Kawasaki of Lowestoft P reg 1st sept 75.
I also had the KH 500 for 2 years (78 - 80). Happy days. :D
Ever started something you wish you had'nt !!
Nigel S

Postby mike5ive » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:30 pm

VW's I love the safari windows on the older vans
As for these triples, for some dumb reason it had never occurred to me that they were being sold in quantities everywhere around the globe / people posting here with triple memories from everywhere under the sun and moon / cool.
RB if you happen by this thread for some reason or another would you happen to know what the total number of 500's and 750's is / How many were actually produced and or sold is.
Thank you
Wile - E - Coyote
Super Genius
mike5ive

Postby husson73 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:51 am

H1 117.509
H2 47.481
Jean-Pierre CH.
"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender" WS Churchill.
husson73

Postby mike5ive » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:48 am

Thank you husson73
Wile - E - Coyote
Super Genius
mike5ive

Postby GUTS » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:10 pm

In 1969 I was 12 years old and an older friend of mine had a new MACH III and gave me a ride. He went over 100mph on a gravel road south of our town and scared me so bad I thought I left hand marks in the seat pan. I found it last year and it is to be restored.
GUTS

Postby mike5ive » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:37 am

lol Guts, that's way crazy and stuff

Personaly I just fricking love the sound of the triples when they are getting on the pipe, they sound so dam cool
Some time ago; like years ago, partying at the Colorado River ( lots of people in So. cal. go there during the summer months ) There was some rich kid there with Three of those 335 hp black Max outboard engines
(They are like $8,700 each ) In any event they are six cylinder 2-strokes and this thing sounded awesome winding out blasting down the river 18 cylinders of 2-stroke.....It was pretty cool,
Wile - E - Coyote
Super Genius
mike5ive

PreviousNext

Return to RB's section