Where were you at first sight

Re: Where were you at first sight

Postby tallyb » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:20 pm

1971, as a VERY young teenager I was giving a friend a hand to clean his A1B Samurai in exchange for a pillion ride when an S1 white ghost came past. No better colour or shape for a triple.
Last edited by tallyb on Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tallyb

Postby mike5ive » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:06 pm

The water cooled Suzuki yep now i remember, I must have fried that brain cell.
On the note of Suzuki ( even though this is a Kawasaki triple forum ) I seem to remember a two cylinder two stroke they used to make and i think the heads on it were similar to the water cooler 750's As in they had a kind of a hood scoop on them to catch more air. In any event those were 500cc twins were they not?
Seems like they should have run well but i never saw one that did and then later the Yamaha RD's came out and took over that part of the market. None the less anyone ever own one of those Suzuki twins and if so what was the problem with those / why we never saw any of them that ran worth a dam ?
Wile - E - Coyote
Super Genius
mike5ive

Postby Baxter » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:21 am

Peacock Gray H1, leaving a baseball field in MacGregor Texas, the guy rode by and I said....Damn.....
Fierce Bat Racing
Baxter

Postby ja-moo » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:03 am

mike5ive wrote:The water cooled Suzuki yep now i remember, I must have fried that brain cell.
On the note of Suzuki ( even though this is a Kawasaki triple forum ) I seem to remember a two cylinder two stroke they used to make and i think the heads on it were similar to the water cooler 750's As in they had a kind of a hood scoop on them to catch more air. In any event those were 500cc twins were they not?
Seems like they should have run well but i never saw one that did and then later the Yamaha RD's came out and took over that part of the market. None the less anyone ever own one of those Suzuki twins and if so what was the problem with those / why we never saw any of them that ran worth a dam ?

Actually the GT550 was air cooled triple, they also had a 380 air cooled triple. They did have a "scoop" over the heads, as did some of the later twin air coolers. No 500 twin had the scoop. The suki's were designed more for the touring buyer, so they were long, heavy, and torquie. (ie low hp) The 750 triple water cooler, put out close to the same hp as the H2's but were also very overweight and long, so not a base for a performance motorcycle. So did not have near the impact that the Kawi's did.
ja-moo

Postby mike5ive » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:52 am

@ ja-moo
Thank you ja-moo that was very informative and it answered all of my questions precisely.
BTW / what the heck is .........ja-moo ???
Wile - E - Coyote
Super Genius
mike5ive

Postby eman » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:33 am

I saw my first triple in 1970 in my local dealer who was a friend of mine. At the time I wanted to buy a Norton Commando but was persuaded to buy the Triple which I did. Didn`t have it registered until the 3rd March 1971, I think it was the first one in Wales. I still own it. :D
eman

Postby mike5ive » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:54 pm

Cool eman, i wish i had kept mine
Wile - E - Coyote
Super Genius
mike5ive

Postby ja-moo » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:53 am

mike5ive wrote:@ ja-moo
Thank you ja-moo that was very informative and it answered all of my questions precisely.
BTW / what the heck is .........ja-moo ???

Not to "hijack" the thread, But it's just from my initials (ja) and moo which I had on a license plate years ago. We called our bike "kaws" and of course, cows go "moo"..... :roll: :lol:
ja-moo

Postby husson73 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:53 am

think it was on 70, was 14 years old (just taken my mother's moped as she had the good idea to get her car driving licence and to buy a VW split window for 50 bucks) a lucky guy not in my class but on higher one (was 16 years old for motorcycle driving licence at this time) he got a 500 Kawasaki H1, what sound and remembered the test of the 69 H1 on motorcycle reviews. Parked my Motobecane 49cc near the H1 but never dare to speak to the owner :cry:
Jean-Pierre CH.
"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender" WS Churchill.
husson73

Postby Jim » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:28 pm

I think it was around 1970 when I was 12, and the family was camping in Tennessee. Three guys on motorcycles came in the park and camped on a site across from us. One bike was an H1 and one was a Moto Guzzi Ambassador or Eldorado. I don't remember what the third one was. I bought my H2 in 1978, and my Moto Guzzi Mille GT last September. I really bought the H2 because of one that belonged to a friend of my cousin's, that I saw do an impromptu 1/4 mile run, but that camping trip definitely influenced my decision to by the Guzzi.

JP, I always thought that of all the VW Beetles that were made, the split rear window one was the coolest looking. They look old and authentic compared to the later ones.
Jim

PreviousNext

Return to RB's section