Where were you at first sight

Where were you at first sight

Postby mike5ive » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:25 pm

The first time I ever saw a triple was in 1970, a friend of mine had one parked in the driveway of another friends house when i arrived there.
Not thinking much about it ( although it was night time ) I simply walked past it and entered the home then some time later after the owner of the bike had stated he was leaving and had walked out closing the front door behind him I heard this crazy engine sound ( I surly was expecting the sound of any one of a number of four strokes ) So thinking to myself; what the hell is that; then openly stating to the rest of the group What the hell, I thought he said he had a 500. To which the reply from one of them was, It is you’ve never seen or heard it yet, hurry up and go out front before he leaves you’ve got to see and hear how these Kawasaki 500s sound Mike. As the entire group and I were walking out the door to do so I remember thinking to myself ( See how they sound ? What’s he talking about because I can hear it right now and it sounds like a tin can with a bunch of marbles in it being shaken.
As we caught him just before he drove away a friend called to him, hey Jeff, Mikes never seen or heard that thing yet. To which he replied with a pretty good burnout that culminated with standing the bike on the rear wheel.
And all the while the craziest, coolest sound I had ever heard coming from any engine was blasting out of the thing, I knew right then that I wanted one and that I loved how it sounded….......And I still love that Kawasaki triple sound, it was unmistakable back then and it still is now after all these years you will know in a second if your hearing a triple no matter how far off in the distance the bike may be
The triple sound really is super cool, to me it is anyway and I have to imagine the lot of you love it as well
Wile - E - Coyote
Super Genius
mike5ive

Re: Where were you at first sight

Postby Wolfie » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:27 pm

A green S1b outside Egypt Cottage/Tingley bar Chipperies, Morley (Leeds) the two lads on it were telling me tales of derring doo.. Outrunning the pigs, blowing off their mates and also when they bust the rear shocks riding it onto the kerb in a hurry..

Before that I had only ever seen triples in magazines.

The second one I saw a few months later was outside Carl Wards bike shop on York Road Leeds, it might have been the same bike.

I'm pretty certain that the next one I saw was my own..
I used to be a Yorkshire Werewolf, but am alreet nar!
Wolfie

Postby bic_bicknell » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:15 pm

Not sure about the first one I ever saw. But the first one that made an impression on me was a sorted, but rather tatty dark green, (with yellow pin stripe), KH400 that was owned by the fastest rider in the village and local cafe racer scene. When I was 17 we used to meet every night at the back of the Royal Oak in Garstang and you could hear the bikes arriving before you saw them. This bike was a stripped down, TwoFour seat, clip-ons, expansion chambers, rearsets. But the guy, can't remember his name, was a legend because he used to get his knee down round the fastest corners down from the village where he lived. He wore leather skateboard knee pads over his jeans and would come into the carpark with them all newly scruffed up. I guess this was about 1980 or so, Transatlantic Races were still a big deal and Kenny Roberts and Barry Sheene were our heroes. A few years later I got to respray this same bike and get to ride it for a few weeks while it was round at my house.

Most of us then had RD Yamahas, all the different ones, I think the E had just come out but not the LCs yet. Lots of 200's and YDS7s. Also a lot of GT250's - they were still held in high regard. So there was a lot of competition and one-upmanship between everyone to defend the honour of the make of bike you rode. I had an RD 250 but I was always siding with the Kawasakis because they were better looking and sounded ssssooooo great. I loved the burble on idle and the sound when the went on song. my best mate had an Ian Dyson KH250 into which we secretly put in a 400 engine. I was always a triple lad in my soul and just had to find one to make my own.

The first triple I bought was sitting in a back yard next to the GT550 I'd gone to see with a mate. As soon as I saw it I was smitten. It was all in standard trim but far nicer than the green KH I was used to seeing. It was an earlier S3, the candy brown one with a red stripe. It was immaculate but the owner didn't want to sell it. I walked away and said if ever he changed his mind, which he did a few weeks later and so started my love affair with Kawa triples that's lasted till this day.
bic_bicknell

Postby ja-moo » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:12 am

The first one I "saw" was on the showroom floor in 1971. I wasn't into street bikes, so didn't pay attention to them. And I "might" of heard one hangin around the shop, but really don't remember. I don't remember seeing any on the street in my little home town. So the first I really heard one was when I picked up my 1975 500 in 77 or 78.
ja-moo

Postby mike5ive » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:25 am

@ bic-bicknell
GT550, please refresh my memory..............What was that ?
Wile - E - Coyote
Super Genius
mike5ive

Postby ja-moo » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:02 am

A Suzuki triple 2 stroke.... (if you are being serious.... :lol: )
ja-moo

Postby husson73 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:37 am

just remembered when I saw my first S2, was Margate Kent july 1971 finnish bike :mrgreen:
Jean-Pierre CH.
"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender" WS Churchill.
husson73

Postby sam » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:39 am

My mate Gary bought a S1C.
BIG HOUSE HALFWAY UP THE HILL SMELLS OF TWO STROKE
sam

Postby mitsui spy » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:57 am

I was born in 1965 so I don't remember 'seeing' my first triple. I got into bikes aged 8 and was fascinated from that point on so was 'aware' of triples but mainly because the distinct noise singled them out as being different. They were almost all 250s due to the learner restriction in the UK and the nearest I got to an H2 was a die-cast model of one. As teenagers we used to ride them on the fields (a VERY rough kh250 could be bought for as little as £50 in 1981). Ley me say now they're NOT good field bikes but we learned a lot about handling a bike and what it feels like to fall off. Then we were straight onto LCs and it was too embarrassing to be on a slow air-cooled triple, but almost unknown to me something about them permeated my soul. After a long, long line of Yamaha 2 strokes with 1, 2 and 4 cylinders it took me 25 year to scratch that itch.

Should never have scratched it - it's turned into a very bad rash.
mitsui spy

Postby malcolm » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:24 pm

On the bus on the way to school there was an H1B parked, my brother knew the guy and ha told me all the tall tales about spitting spokes out of the back wheel and wheelies in third :oops:
When I was 250 ready I bought an S1C and soon thereafter took a 14 hour train ride to buy an H2C 8-) 8-) 8-)
malcolm

Next

Return to RB's section