Miles to the gallon?

Re: Miles to the gallon?

Postby bic_bicknell » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:19 pm

After meeting up with another H2C member I checked the needle settings and found that the circlip was on the lowest position. I've refitted them to the standard setting and we will see what difference that makes.
bic_bicknell

Postby Jim » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:24 pm

My H2 is very sensitive to needle position. My usual 30 drops to 25 if I lower the clip 1/2 position with a .5mm shim. A whole position and it's burbly rich and just over 20 mpg.
Jim

Postby xxxskfxxx » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:10 pm

my 250 used hard did 20 miles to the gallon [uk] and did around 80 miles to a pint of 2 stroke oil.i got the bike from new so was obviously in good mechanical order,i must admit i went everywhere at full throttle as probably most teenagers did in the late 70s and early 80s.what it did to the gallon.i did notice that the oil pumps on these bikes were set to almost half open at tickover
xxxskfxxx

Postby mitsui spy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:52 am

It's amazing what different experiences people have.
My current 250 was built up from whatever I had lying around. Overall it's on standard everything. It rattles like hell and I ride it like I'm trying to blow it up most of the time. It averages 50mpg.
mitsui spy

Postby RB » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:51 am

mitsui spy wrote: It rattles like hell and I ride it like I'm trying to blow it up most of the time. It averages 50mpg.

:shock: NOW I m impressed :up
malc87 wrote:Image

A spirited ride back seen the 73 Z1 at over a "ton" on more than one occasion!!

You may be interested in the fuel figures for that ride, the gallons have been converted to U.K. size for the MPG :

100 mile round trip, maybe 40 miles at 50 MPH, 20 at 60 MPH 20 at 70 MPH and 20 at 90 MPH and the occasional Ton, generally "spirited Riding, we all filled up at the start together and we all filled up at the end together.

1973 Z1 : 51.7 mpg

GPZ 750 Turbo : 49.5 mpg

1974 S3 with Dencos : 44 mpg

1975 H2c Ported with Spec II pipes, flat slides Etc : 41.3 mpg

Yesterday, I went out with a pal who was riding what is virtually a moped, so we didn't really go over 55MPH,the S3 with Dencos got 68 MPG :shock:
As far as possible be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant, they too have their story. Remember always, there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
RB

Postby gsxrtriple » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:20 pm

I can get 36.4 to the gallon on my h1b even when thrashing it its got factory pipes which sound great when its being thrashed :D
gsxrtriple

Postby Nigel S » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:00 pm

The excesive fuel usage could also be the answer to your black liquid escaping the silencer and the black plugs. At a guess I would look at pilot jets standard size should be 37.5. If these are correct then next look at the brass ball that has been installed in the casting for the pilot jet. If this ball is loose or leaking then the bike will run rich low down. To check if leaking remove the pilot and needle jet. Place 1 finger over the pilot jet hole and the small needle jet exit into the carb throat. place 1 finger over the bottom casting for the needle jet (where the main jet screws into). With washing up liquid over the ball blow down the casting for the pilot jet. No bubbles then not leaking. If bubbles then the ball needs to be re-seated.

I hope this makes sense. :up :up

Would be interested to hear how dropping the needles goes as this will also lean out the mixture. Keep watching the black plugs and liquid from the exhaust. My H2C I get very little from the pipes apart from noise and smoke. So should you.
Ever started something you wish you had'nt !!
Nigel S

Previous

Return to RB's section