CDI replacement

CDI replacement

Postby bic_bicknell » Mon May 26, 2014 3:04 pm

After my recent ignition failure and mend, (without knowing how), I've started to think that I want to make the ignition system reliable as I don't want to ruin the experience of this bike with the worry of breaking down somewhere and losing faith in going on longer trips out.

What is the best way to do this? Can I have the CDI units professionally checked or serviced? Or is it just better to replace the units with a Lakeside all in one box. This company, together with the name of Jim, has come up frequently on sites relating to this question. Can you get them in the UK or deal directly with Jim in the States? Also, can you get new coils anymore for these bikes or do you have to search about for good used ones?

Advice much appreciated.
bic_bicknell

Re: CDI replacement

Postby Wolfie » Mon May 26, 2014 3:32 pm

The Lakeland units are very good, Jim is around on here somewhere, usually...

http://www.lakeserv.net/kaw/
Last edited by Wolfie on Mon May 26, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be a Yorkshire Werewolf, but am alreet nar!
Wolfie

Postby Nigel S » Tue May 27, 2014 7:12 am

If you buy a set of second hand units remove the inside components. Remember to save some of the wires. Get the boxes re-zinced. Send them to Lakeland and they will install new electronics in your old cases. Then you still have the originality with new electrics. I am currently doing the same thing with a set of duff boxes that have failed over the years.

One thing I am not sure about though is if you will still need to pay customs charges when the boxes are returned. Anyone else know ??
:beer
Ever started something you wish you had'nt !!
Nigel S

Postby bic_bicknell » Tue May 27, 2014 12:52 pm

I'm trying to order a complete new ignition set from Lakeside, (sent them an email). Then I can get back running as soon as possible.

I will keep the original CDI boxes and take my time removing the internals, getting the outers re-plated and fitting new internals. Then I might swap these for the new box and resell that to someone else who finds themselves in my position in the future.
bic_bicknell

Postby mike5ive » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:19 pm

Pop the cover off that CDI box, I don't care what years your bike is. 99% of the time the only parts that fail ( The only parts that I've seen fail anyway ) are the Zener diodes.
I've seen 4 kawasaki cdi units that quit working and I fixed 3 of them simply by replacing the zeners. The 4th one had a toasted circuit board / everything inside was fried
Note : always ( Always ) keep those boxes held in place by new / good / thick rubber mounts. Circuit boards just hate ( HATE ) vibration, it's not good for their health and well being AT ALL
Wile - E - Coyote
Super Genius
mike5ive

Postby Jim » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:48 pm

Wolfie, thank you for the post.

Bic, I trust you have the parts in hand now.

Nigel, I see your package was delivered as well. The wires are important only to show me what style they originally were. A photo would actually work too. The early ones were made to connect outside of the mounting plate, and the late ones were made to connect under the plate.

Mike5ive, you may be talking about early H1 CDI units or non-triple Kawasaki CDI units. The H2 units referred to above don't have any Zener diodes, and are potted to resist the vibration you mentioned.
Jim

Postby RB » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:59 pm

Jim wrote:Mike5ive, you may be talking about early H1 CDI units or non-triple Kawasaki CDI units. The H2 units referred to above don't have any Zener diodes, and are potted to resist the vibration you mentioned.

Jim, is there ANY blood left in your lip ;)
As far as possible be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant, they too have their story. Remember always, there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
RB

Postby mike5ive » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:43 am

Yes RB, the ones that made a humming sound when turned on / they also had a rotor and a distributor cap.
My bad, I just took it for granted that all the cdi units were pretty much the same inside give or take.
I stand corrected
Wile - E - Coyote
Super Genius
mike5ive

Postby Nigel S » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Jim wrote:
Nigel, I see your package was delivered as well. The wires are important only to show me what style they originally were. A photo would actually work too. The early ones were made to connect outside of the mounting plate, and the late ones were made to connect under the plate.

Hi Jim

Yep fitted them straight away. Fantastic spark. No customs to pay this end either. Still working on the other boxes, but could be some time.
:up :up
Ever started something you wish you had'nt !!
Nigel S

Return to RB's section