Holed silencers?

Re: Holed silencers?

Postby bic_bicknell » Wed May 28, 2014 1:21 pm

So I carefully took off the right hand silencer careful not to disturb the oil leak marks because I know that you all have so much staked on this. :)

Most of the mess is on the outside of the middle silencer but the leak/source was coming from above somehow.

There was no evidence of leaking from the header/silencer connection.

There was no evidence of excess oil coming out from the hole.

It seemed to be coming from under the black bracket.

In fact from round the bolt that fixes on the black bracket.

I cleaned it off and the bolt is firmly fixed in place, there seems nothing to repair and not sure if I can use some sort of sealant round the join? For now I just bolted it all back together again and we'll see if it leaks again.

By the way, what is the purpose of the second clip round the bottom of the header pipes? My old S3 didn't have this clip, just the main one clamping the silencer onto the down-pipe. Does it just prevent the rubber mounted clamp working its way forward?
bic_bicknell

Postby Wolfie » Wed May 28, 2014 2:06 pm

Dam!
I used to be a Yorkshire Werewolf, but am alreet nar!
Wolfie

Postby RB » Wed May 28, 2014 8:09 pm

Wolfie wrote:Dam!

:noob
:beer
;)
As far as possible be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant, they too have their story. Remember always, there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
RB

Postby RB » Wed May 28, 2014 8:12 pm

bic_bicknell wrote:
By the way, what is the purpose of the second clip round the bottom of the header pipes? My old S3 didn't have this clip, just the main one clamping the silencer onto the down-pipe. Does it just prevent the rubber mounted clamp working its way forward?

Your old S3 didn't have any clamps :think S1 / S2 may have done but the S3 were ALL One piece exhausts :problem - The clamp is there to stop the larger clamp from blowing forwards :up
As far as possible be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant, they too have their story. Remember always, there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
RB

Postby bic_bicknell » Wed May 28, 2014 8:35 pm

You're right. It was only when I was taking the exhausts off and the 30 year old memories were kicking in and I thought, "I don't remember having to do this". I went and looked at old photos of my S3 and saw that there wan't any. I have had so many bikes that did have some sort of clamp, it's not like it's unfamiliar.

So you win the bet anyway. I would have been disappointed if you didn't. :)

What's the prognosis from oil leaking from that point? I can't really see what is to be done. It's not a problem really, just need to take a rag with me on longer trips!
bic_bicknell

Postby tony_d123 » Wed May 28, 2014 8:46 pm

If there is no obvious signs of cracking, I would be tempted to put some beads of silicon around the bolts and refit the bracket. Should seal up nicely.

I wouldn't be surprised though if you clean up the oil and there are some small cracks there.
tony_d123

Postby husson73 » Thu May 29, 2014 8:49 am

Wolfie wrote:Dam!
God dam it :shh
Jean-Pierre CH.
"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender" WS Churchill.
husson73

Postby classical » Thu May 29, 2014 9:42 am

ummmm,DAMN :clap
classical

Postby bic_bicknell » Fri May 30, 2014 7:45 pm

So after another 40 or 50 miles of razzing here's the result. It was so bad oil was dripping onto the back tyre when on side stand. Some of this, (at the back), was from the upper silencer hole dripping down onto the bottom one but the rest is from the bolt holes.
I'll be taking them off again and trying a bit of silicone round the threads of the bolts. There were no obvious cracks in the sheet metal anywhere, nor were the bolts loose. How are they fixed inside the silencer? Are they welded in place?
bic_bicknell

Postby RB » Fri May 30, 2014 9:00 pm

bic_bicknell wrote:Image

THAT is truly excessive! The oil on the bottom pipe is coming from the residual oil left in the top pipe, it's coming from the 1p sized hole in the end of the exhaust akin to the baffle end, it is extreme, either, you are well over oiling, or the right cyl is being flushed out with the petrol that you are not burning :think
RB

PreviousNext

Return to RB's section