Holed silencers?

Holed silencers?

Postby bic_bicknell » Sat May 24, 2014 3:12 pm

Every time I go out I come back like this.

Is this indicative of a hole somewhere? Can't see without removing both right hand side pipes, it may be from the center pipe somewhere round the mounting point. If it is a hole is repair easy? In old days we'd just have welded it up with a big blob.
bic_bicknell

Re: Holed silencers?

Postby mraxl » Sat May 24, 2014 3:25 pm

Many times it will be leaking at the exhaust connection and seeping down the muffler weld seam.
mraxl

Postby bic_bicknell » Sat May 24, 2014 3:34 pm

Maybe.

I'll check this because there is a bit of leak round there. Puzzled because the silencers are generally in very good repair and I can't hear and blowing from a hidden crack or anything so it could be that because it takes about 30 miles before showing this symptom. Isn't that the silicone sealant remedy that works with the connection between cylinder and down pipe?

Thanks.
bic_bicknell

Postby mraxl » Sat May 24, 2014 3:49 pm

Check for oil leak at the backside of the downpipe at exhaust clamp at the cylinder and again at the seal where the muffler connects to the downpipe before drawing any conclusions.
mraxl

Postby Wolfie » Sat May 24, 2014 4:47 pm

It often comes from the back end of the top silencer and runs down the underside of the top pipe until it drips onto the bottom one.
I won't say "normal" but very common...

Silicone sealer is fine for the front connector rubbers, it's sliminess also helps them seat comfortably instead of being stretched and it'll help with the manifold to downpipe seal too
I used to be a Yorkshire Werewolf, but am alreet nar!
Wolfie

Postby KEVMACH4 » Sat May 24, 2014 5:17 pm

bet its from around silencer bracket.
KEVMACH4

Postby RB » Sat May 24, 2014 7:16 pm

Kevs right, the Two mounting bolts are fractured where they go through the bracket, you should be able to get it tig welded so it's not seen . . . . . . Hang on, the pipe I lent to the owner to have some new ones made was fractured there :think . . . . . Pants down AGAIN! :roll: . . . . :P
As far as possible be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant, they too have their story. Remember always, there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
RB

Postby husson73 » Sat May 24, 2014 9:01 pm

Wolfie wrote:It often comes from the back end of the top silencer and runs down the underside of the top pipe until it drips onto the bottom one.
I won't say "normal" but very common...
:mrgreen:
am with Woolfie for this one happen on my H2A when I ride only on the town for a long time :mrgreen:
Jean-Pierre CH.
"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender" WS Churchill.
husson73

Postby bic_bicknell » Sat May 24, 2014 11:50 pm

I will take the pipes off and have a look. I can't see how this oil dribble is coming from the front end or back end really. I think there is a crack in the middle pipe somewhere. Had a mate over for dinner tonight and he's got tig/mig welding capability so should be able to fix whatever is wrong. I think unseen too.
bic_bicknell

Postby Nigel S » Sun May 25, 2014 7:48 am

IMHO - tell ur mate to be careful with welding to chrome. Might be easier with TIG and grind off the chrome first in the area to weld. Use stainless for the weld.
Ever started something you wish you had'nt !!
Nigel S

Next

Return to RB's section