You HAVE to be impressed!

You HAVE to be impressed!

Postby RB » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:19 pm

http://www.iomtt.com/TT-Database/Events ... race_seq=9
1970 I.O.M. Senior 750 TT - The ONLY Japanese bike in the top 50 came in THIRD . . . Bill Smith on a '69 H1r :clap , I am on a bit of a mission (all will be revealed later) I just spoke to Chas Mortimer (who arranges bike shipping nowadays) and asked if he knew Bill Smith, he knew him very well, I asked if he remembered him on a street '69 H1 at the TT and he didn't mainly because of the different classes , but quick as a flash he said, "I remember him coming 3rd in 1970 on a Green H1r, he was a nutter, we really thought he was going to come off" . . . . Nothing wrong with Chas's memory :up
As far as possible be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant, they too have their story. Remember always, there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
RB

Re: You HAVE to be impressed!

Postby h2bchris » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:32 pm

Very interesting that Rick, some old timers in those TT results ! :)
h2bchris

Postby Hal » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:03 pm

To be a little pedantic RB, the Senior was a 500cc race rather than 750.
(and the Junior was 350cc)
Hal

Postby olde coney » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:36 pm

The 70s was a great time for racing, here's an old picture featuring a few well know faces, but can you recognise them :?:

Our family business (Dews Garages) at the time were the main sponsors for the Halifax Dukes Speedway team, and that's your only clue ;)

There is a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit
olde coney

Location: Leyburn, North Yorkshire (via Huddersfield), England

Postby Hal » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:14 pm

olde coney wrote:The 70s was a great time for racing, here's an old picture featuring a few well know faces, but can you recognise them :?:

Our family business (Dews Garages) at the time were the main sponsors for the Halifax Dukes Speedway team, and that's your only clue ;)

The two on the right look like Ron Haslam and Mal Carter (Ron's early years Pharaoh Yamaha sponsor)
The one on the left I also recognise from the road race world, but can't put a name to quite yet.
Hal

Postby h2bchris » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:27 pm

olde coney wrote:The 70s was a great time for racing, here's an old picture featuring a few well know faces, but can you recognise them :?:

The one on the left is the late John Newbold !
h2bchris

Postby olde coney » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:38 pm

You're both correct...L to R :up

John Newbold, Kenny Carter, Eric Boothroyd (Speedway Manager), Ron Haslam, Mal Carter.

We sponsored the Halifax Dukes for a number of years, and I got to meet and know lots of riders over that time.

I was at Mals funeral a few years back and am still a long time friend of Alan Mal's son, in fact he rang me as recently today, I had to ask Alan who was the guy on the left as I couldn't remember who he was, in fact john Newbold was killed racing at the N.W 200
There is a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit
olde coney

Location: Leyburn, North Yorkshire (via Huddersfield), England

Postby tony_d123 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:46 pm

Don't know what deal Ron Haslam did with the devil but he doesn't look much different today!
tony_d123

Postby RB » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:34 pm

tony_d123 wrote:Don't know what deal Ron Haslam did with the devil but he doesn't look much different today!

Ron is still a "bit of a lad" . . in fact a local lad, he comes over to MFN (The Northern Rally Site) with his pals and "kids" rides his trail bikes over the railway footbridge . . . until they blocked it off to "Trial bikes" so now he flies over regularly and buzzes the crowd in his microlight! - Go Ron! :clap
As far as possible be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant, they too have their story. Remember always, there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
RB

Postby smokeyh2 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:35 am

just looking at the list of names their

some up and coming riders

i see bottom of the list a certain MICK GRANT on a velocette DNF
and PAT MAHONEY
:up :up
FROM STANDSTILL TO DEATH IN 3 SECONDS
smokeyh2

Next

Return to Drag / Road Racing