What`s happened????

General Chat - Moderated

Re: What`s happened????

Postby olde coney » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:19 am

mitsui spy wrote:When I left school my old man told me there was a vacancy at his place for a computer programmer. It was mine if I wanted it. "Nah" I told him wisely "It'll never come to much." So I went off and became an engineer. What a fuckin knobhead.

Who ? you or ya dad :lol:

In the early 80s a mate asked me if I fancied selling mobile phones, I said nah, what's the point when everyone buys one there will be no market place left to sell to....now that was a knobhead decision :lol:
There is a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit
olde coney

Location: Leyburn, North Yorkshire (via Huddersfield), England

Postby Scouse » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:53 pm

mitsui spy wrote:When I left school my old man told me there was a vacancy at his place for a computer programmer. It was mine if I wanted it. "Nah" I told him wisely "It'll never come to much." So I went off and became an engineer. What a fuckin knobhead.

In the early Eighties I was 17 and borrowed a grand from my parents to do a home study computer course, I also bought a VIC 20, after a couple of months I was bored shitless and thought to myself can I really see this as a career path?
Nah jacked it all in and 6 months later I was DJing in an Alternative city centre night club and working on an inner city farm, the money was crap, but loved every minute of it

Mean while my school mate called round and saw me doing my computer stuff, he thought that was a good career path ( as a side note, he gave me my 1st ever go on a motorbike)
He became quite successful in IT, moved to the US got married, earned a shed load of money, got divorced and was taken to the cleaners and left the US with the shirt on his back
Moved back to the UK, years of sitting behind a desk caught up with him, 22 stone, 2 heart attacks and a bypass later he's doing OK, exercising regularly.
Any regrets for not doing IT, not one jot
Money is pointless if you hate your job

Gary T
Boffin In A Coffin
Scouse

Postby RB » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:47 pm

I had worked for National Carriers for 15 Years when Margaret Thatcher decided it was the first Company to be sold off, My dada offered to lend me £20,000 as he heard it was a good deal, I told him not to waste his money and everyone that worked there had "Jobs for the boys" . . . . . . . . . That £20,000 would now be worth In excess of a MILLION Pounds nowadays!
As far as possible be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant, they too have their story. Remember always, there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
RB

Postby olde coney » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:57 am

Hindsight, they say is a precise science :lol:
There is a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit
olde coney

Location: Leyburn, North Yorkshire (via Huddersfield), England

Postby spike » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:01 pm

RB wrote:pretty much in a nutshell . . . it's Facebook! It is just SOOOoooo easy to post on there rather than having to download pics here and upload them from a hosting site . . . I can do all that stuff instantly on the road whereas on here it is just tedious and time consuming :oops:
Oh . . and :

Forumatic is shutting down its service on December 20th, 2016.

:shock:

Crikey, there's a function on here since 2013 that allows you to upload directly to the forum… it's called "Upload attachment" right below the three buttons when you reply to a post… That way pics sty with the forum instead of being on a pic hosting site that will eventually disappear.
spike

Postby Hal » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:30 pm

RB wrote: That £20,000 would now be worth In excess of a MILLION Pounds nowadays!

Just re-assure yourself Rick that you would probably have sold them when they got to £30k thinking it was a massive £10k for non outlay after paying the old man back.
You'd never have held out to the million mark anyway, as you'd have worried they may go "pop" to nothing - like the "rock solid" Marconi shares did - and there would have been plenty of other good uses for that amount of money tempting you to play in the triples world with.
Hal

Postby spike » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:49 pm

spike wrote:
RB wrote:pretty much in a nutshell . . . it's Facebook! It is just SOOOoooo easy to post on there rather than having to download pics here and upload them from a hosting site . . . I can do all that stuff instantly on the road whereas on here it is just tedious and time consuming :oops:
Oh . . and :

Forumatic is shutting down its service on December 20th, 2016.

:shock:

Crikey, there's a function on here since 2012 that allows you to upload directly to the forum… it's called "Upload attachment" right below the three buttons when you reply to a post… That way pics stay with the forum instead of being on a pic hosting site that will eventually disappear. Easy as FB.

Just to make things a bit clearer: I am paying for the hosting of this forum and have been since 2009. Rick is paying for the domain name. How we sort this out is between him and me, but hosting is costing me ~120 British squids per year. That's not accounting time for updates, admitting new members, replying to emails (lost passwords, anybody?) and trying to find solutions for hacking accidents. A transfer can take me a good afternoon or two. Remember Tomcat's forum? It helped me so much. Now, it's gone (for various reasons). I can't find the any info on Kawasaki A1R or A7R modifications.

A forum does what FB can't do: try looking for a carb set-up WITHOUT having to ask people or finding the correct details of your horn. FB is a social network.
A forum is a repository of information and a gathering of like-minded people. It is only as good as the info and people that post there. A forum is searchable, FB isn't.

I have to say, the general tone of some of your previous comments on the forum, hosting and general service etc. threads really peeved me off. There's no obligation of service, you get it for free. You are here to contribute your knowledge, questions and tips… not posts about "there's nothing happening since yesterday"… Hey, go back to the shed, wrench something, break something, share your experience, help others, solve somebody else's problem. We all like a good laugh, but winging about a forum you're supposed to animate, now that really gets my goat.
spike

Previous

Return to General Chat